Procrastinating while being busy
Hi, I’m Pyra, and I’m a procrastinator.
You wouldn’t know it from a surface glance: I seem to be busy enough and therefore productive enough, but that’s just because you haven’t seen the list of all the things I want to be doing but haven’t gotten around to.
Or the spare bedroom in my house turned super-sized junk drawer that I haven’t gotten around to tidying yet.
Or trail of half finished projects, books, songs, paintings…
And of course the busy-ness itself is part of the problem. Here’s what I’m currently up to:
- Produce, write, record 2 weekly comedy podcasts, Under My Skin and The Zamo the Destroyer Show
- Produce 1 weekly and 1 supposed-to-be-weekly video series, Monday Music Nonsense and Sit Down Monologues
- Take 3 night school classes a week
- Work part time in retail
- Learning to play guitar and taking lessons
- In theory doing stand up comedy, though I haven’t hit the open mics in a couple months
- In theory getting to the gym 3x a week
- Writing a book
- Maintaining a couple blogs
- Writing some jokes for and occasionally appearing on mic on my friends’ podcast, The Dry Shave Show
- Writing a comedy album
- In theory still making electro-punk rock music as maQLu
And I’m probably forgetting a bunch of stuff, plus there’s the things I’m trying to do like learning to cook so I don’t have to live on take-out. And maybe occasionally seeing my friends.
What’s my point in all this… I dunno… I guess that in some ways the more you’re already doing, the more you end up accidentally procrastinating on. Not intentionally, but let’s just say that I haven’t touched my book’s Word file in over a month, because there’s always something more pressing to do, and on the occasional day when there isn’t it’s like my mental to-do list self-destructs and I just end up doing nothing because somehow I can’t pick from the giant list of Stuff Pyra Should Get Moving On in the absence of a hard deadline.
But I’m working on it, and trying to get better organized so as to get more done and procrastinate less. Haven’t got all the answers yet, but then that’s part of the journey I’ll be talking about in this here blog as we go along, sharing tips and resources that help as I stumble upon them, etc.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I gotta go watch House Hunters on HGTV and then later be mad at myself that I didn’t practise guitar instead…